Tuesday, 20 August 2013

5 Melbourne CBD bakeries

1. Cupcake Family



While I have never been a fan of Cupcake Family's cupcakes (taste-wise), I must acknowledge the fact that they have ridiculously good looking cakes that will definitely impress. The minion cupcakes were so adorable I couldn't bear to eat them. They came in chocolate & vanilla flavours. But as you know, the decorative edible layer will always taste nasty however good they look. I have sampled cupcakes & macarons from this quaint little store at Qv several times before. Their cupcakes are disappointing but their macarons are lovely. My friends and I especially love the green tea, earl grey and black sesame flavoured macarons!

P.s. They don't sell special cupcakes like the minions pictured above on the spot. You will have to make a special pre-order for personalised cupcakes and cakes. I'm not sure how the special customizations cost as my minion cupcakes were a gift from a friend.

Cupcake Family
http://www.thecupcakefamily.com.au/
22 Red Cape Lane
Qv Centre
Melbourne, VIC 3000
03 9663 0055 

Cupcake Family on Urbanspoon

2. Brunetti

Brunetti's endless choices will make your pastry selection an extremely difficult task. From impressive birthday cakes to pizza slices, I can understand why it's bound to make one go wow and argh. I recall vividly stepping into an outlet for the very first time in 2011 and I was blown away by its glass display. Unfortunately, most pastries are merely mediocre; they look better than they taste. Amongst all the desserts that I have sampled, hazelnut cake, baked lemon tart and Italian hot chocolate emerge as the best of Brunetti. As for the petite pastries pictured above? They were good! But with its endless variety, I would say it's about luck because I had other assorted mini pastries before which were horrible.

Brunetti
http://www.brunetti.com.au/
380 Lygon St
Carlton, VIC 3053 
03 9347 2801 

Brunetti on Urbanspoon


3. The Cupcake Bakery
 

I love Cupcake Central's slogan, "Make it a part of your everyday!" Unfortunately this can never happen unless you have invented a drug to ward off obesity and diabetes. It would however be perfect for a gym's hook line. Cupcake Bakery was my favourite until I discovered Cupcake Central. The cupcakes in Cupcake Bakery are extremely sweet and dense. Although I managed to finish 3 whole cupcakes across 3 days, I must say I struggled. Their red velvet, sticky date, lemon poppy seed & choc choc cupcakes guarantee an instant satisfying sugar rush. I enjoyed the lemon poppy seed most because its taste wasn't as overwhelming.

The Cupcake Bakery
http://www.thecupcakebakery.com.au/
2 Melbourne Pl
Shop 2-4 Lower Ground
Melbourne VIC 3000
13 0063 5002 

The Cupcake Bakery on Urbanspoon

4. Ganache Chocolate


A European style chocolate lounge that served me a horrible iced coffee but fantastic cakes. Founded by chef Arno who had traveled the world and served chocolate to even the British Royals, it is not surprising that Ganache became such a sensation in Melbourne. I personally love the Hazelnut Fan Slice. It's definitely one of my favourite cakes! There's a huge variation of texture, from milk chocolate mousse to Paillete feuilletine (crunchy wheat flakes) which makes every bite an interesting one. The hazel nut flavoured sponge, covered in hazel nut praline, cereal crisps, soft mousse, milk chocolate glaze, milk chocolate curls & freshly roasted hazel nuts make this cake extremely hazelnutty. You MUST try it. It's to die for. I can never stop eating it the instant I take a bite. So addictive! A slice of it is AUD $7.90 while whole cakes range from AUD $29 to AUD $160, depending on the size.

Ganache Chocolate
http://www.ganache.com.au/
245 Collins St
Melbourne, VIC 3000
03 9650 8388

Ganache Chocolate on Urbanspoon

5. L'Apres Midi


L'Apres Midi serves gorgeous desserts till late night and offers free wifi. It's a little dim to do your homework so drop that idea right away. Anyway, L'Apres Midi certainly doesn't deserve a pathetic rating of 46%?! I have to admit that I was skeptical upon entering this place thanks to its barely functioning website written in terribly broken English. I was immediately given the impression that it was a Chinese imitation which would serve shitty cakes. Over my last 2 visits, I have tried their Praline Passion (AUD $8), L'Apres Midi (AUD $9), Chocolate Croissant (AUD $4) & Baked Blueberry Pastry (AUD $4) which proved to me that I was wrong. I really find the cakes yummy but it is overpriced for its size. Customers would definitely rather spend that same amount of money on award winning pastry chefs' creations. Looking on the bright side, the freshly baked goodies are reasonably priced, delightfully delicious and significantly larger in portions as compared to the cakes.

L'Apres Midi
167-169 Russell St
Melbourne, VIC 3000
03 9663 8258

L'Apres Midi on Urbanspoon

#1 to #4 are gifts from my beloved girlfriends. Thanks Sha Jo Abby Kim love y'all xx :)

No comments:

Post a Comment